My Mama taught me many things, but one of my favorite attributes I received from her, was the desire to make a cozy home. Aside from a very OCD passion to keep our house immaculate (which FYI I unfortunately did not attain that attribute) she loved creating a cozy space for us to live.
Our home was a tiny, 3 bedroom ranch, but was truly one of the coziest homes I remember. She loved geese! So we had many stuffed farm animals strewn about, as well as cozy blankets, a blazing wood burning stove that she would place a container of potpourri on top of for a pleasant smell, fluffy decorative pillows, peaceful low lighting lamps and comforting decor.
Christmas was my favorite time as our home was filled with festive greenery, clear twinkle lights, a display of Victorian porcelain homes and very often, Christmas tunes playing in the background.
So, there you have it. It was inbred in me to cultivate a cozy and comforting space for my family to enjoy.
I am one of those individuals that is very affecting by my environment and surroundings. This is why my home environment is even more important to me. I need a peaceful place to land and I often need constant reminders that even when there is chaos around me..... peace still exists.
So... this takes us to workout #2!!! What kind of environment to you currently have in your home? When you look around to you find peace or chaos? Does your home cultivate a heart of thankfulness or a heart of despair and darkness?
Here are some ways to begin cultivating a "Thankful Space"......
1. Try to keep your home somewhat tidy and organized. NOT OCD, stress type tidy and organized, enough that when you look around you do not feel more chaotic despair. That you can find some peace when you step in the door of your haven from the world.
2. Invite God into your home!!! Now, hopefully if you are a believer, you have already done this, however others ways you can allow God to make His presence known is by saturating your home with His word in different ways such as; wooden signs with scripture, post it notes or index cards with encouraging scriptures taped to mirrors or your refrigerator, making your Bible easily accessible throughout the day so you can grab it on the fly when you need a healthy dose of thankfulness. There are literally scriptures for every room in your home.... here are some of my favorites...
"Let your words always be grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone." Colossians 4:6
"So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it all to the glory of God." 1 Corinthians 10:31
"Let your beauty not come from outward adornment such as braided hair and gold jewelry rather it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a quiet and gentle spirit that is of great worth in God's sight." 1 Peter 3:4
"What God has joined together, let no man separate." Mark 10:9
"And the two shall become one flesh, So they are no longer two, but one." Mark 10:8
"I am my beloveds, and my beloved is mine." Song of Solomon 6:3
These are just a few!!!
3. Pray over your home.... daily. I do this every morning!!
4. Never allow yourself to forget... the little blessings that make your life much easier..... that are actually HUGE blessings; your washer and dryer, a dishwasher, a working oven and microwave. Truly... if you think about it... they are enormous blessings we take for granted daily. I have had every one of these appliances break at some point and it really is a huge inconvenience. I reheat my coffee 800 each day.... I could not do that without a microwave!
5. Lastly.....Enjoy your home. It is a blessing from God. It is your space, He gave you to live, love and enjoy. Take care of it, cherish it, make wonderful memories and serve others with your home. Always be hospitable...... let others feel God's presence when they walk in your doors.
I pray... this inspires you to make your home a place of peace and thankfulness... in a world.... that runs on stress and chaos.
Peace and Blessings
Training a Thankful Heart..... Workout #2.....Making a Thankful Space....and Taking Time to Enjoy it!